Stargazing or Moongazing
Best places to Stargaze in the Buffalo River area
Location 1 – Arkansas Grand Canyon – This scenic spot has a tower you can climb up. its also right off Hwy 7. Also a great spot to see the Arkansas Grand Canyon.
Location 2 – Arkansas Grand Canyon – This is a large Pull-off with picnic benches on Hwy 7. Also a great spot to see the Arkansas Grand Canyon.
Location 3 – Arkansas Grand Canyon – This is a small pull-off on Hwy 7. Also a great spot to see the Arkansas Grand Canyon.
Remember the following tip:
A darker sky means more stars.
- The Ozarks and Buffalo River have little light pollution, making them great stargazing spots.
Areas with better dark sky conditions are best:
- Getting farther away from population centers is essential.
- Higher altitudes offer clearer skies.
- Watch out for clouds, fog, and adverse weather conditions that may obstruct visibility.
- Check the weather, winds, temperatures, and smoke from wildfires in the area.
- Proximity to roads or highways isn’t an issue, as long as bright lights are minimal.
For moon visibility, use an app to find the full moon’s current phase and plan accordingly.
- The best time for stargazing is the two weeks before and after the new moon phase when the Moon’s brightness is limited.
- The best time for moongazing is during a full moon phase when the Moon’s brightness is at its most.
Consider the landscape for better stargazing experiences.
- Open views and absence of city lights and bright Moon are preferable.
- Avoid deep canyons or dense forests that hinder expansive night sky views.
Use red lamps and red LEDs for stargazing.
- Red light has the least impact on night vision.
- A headlamp with a red LED is recommended for navigation during stargazing outings.
Inspiration and guidance for wherever your trail may lead.